Physical Activity & Sports Studies
The aim of the Physical Activity and Sports Studies in Years 9 and 10 is to enhance students' capacity to participate effectively in physical activity and sport, leading to improved quality of life for themselves and others.
Physical Activity and Sports Studies represents a broad view of physical activity and the many possible contexts in which individuals can build activity into their lifestyle. It incorporates a wide range of lifelong physical activities, including recreational, leisure and adventure pursuits, competitive and non-competitive games, individual and group physical fitness activities, and the use of physical activity for therapy and remediation.
The content is organised in modules within the following three Areas of Study:
- Foundations of Physical Activity
- Physical Activity and Sport in Society
- Enhancing Participation and Performance.
Teachers may develop programs by selecting one or more modules from each Area of Study. In addition, further they may develop their own module(s) to address area(s) of interest not covered in the modules provided in the syllabus. The course has a strong focus on learning through movement.
Foundations of Physical Activity
- Body systems and energy for physical activity
- Physical activity for health
- Physical fitness
- Fundamentals of movement skill development
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Participating with safety
Physical Activity and Sport in Society
- Australia's sporting identity
- Lifestyle, leisure and recreation
- Physical activity and sport for specific groups
- Opportunities and pathways in physical activity and sport
- Issues in physical activity and sport
Enhancing Participation and Performance
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Enhancing performance – strategies and techniques
- Technology, participation and performance
- Event management